May 6, 2011 – Thor
– is a forthcoming 2011 American superhero film based on the comic book character of the same name published by Marvel Comics. It is the fourth film to be released in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is scheduled to be released on April 27, 2011 in Belgium, Egypt, France, and Switzerland and on May 6, 2011 in the United States. The film will star Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Jaimie Alexander, and Anthony Hopkins with Kenneth Branagh directing a script by Mark Protosevich, Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, and Don Payne. The project of a film adaptation of Thor was in development hell for several years before Marvel Studios signed Protosevich to write its script in 2006. Matthew Vaughn was to direct the film in late 2008 for a release in 2010. Branagh replaced Vaughn in late 2008, and the film’s release was rescheduled into 2011. The main characters were cast in 2009, and principal photography took place from January to May 2010. Thor is also scheduled to be released in 3-D.
June 3, 2011 – X-Men: First Class
– charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants to prevent nuclear Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men. June 3, 2011.
June 17, 2011 – Green Lantern
– is an upcoming superhero film based on the comic book character of the same name appearing in DC Comics. The film will star Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, with Martin Campbell directing a script by Greg Berlanti and comic book writers Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, which was subsequently rewritten by Michael Goldenberg. Green Lantern is scheduled to be released on June 17, 2011 in 3D.
July 22, 2011 – Captain America: The First Avenger
– is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Captain America. The film stars Chris Evans as Captain America with Joe Johnston directing a script by David Self, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely, and Joss Whedon. The film will be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is scheduled for release on July 22, 2011. The film is scheduled to be released in 3D.
February 17, 2012 – Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
– Director and Writer: Director: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor. Cast: Nicolas Cage, Ciaran Hinds, Violante Placido, Idris Elba, Johnny Whitworth. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is a upcoming superhero film about the Marvel Comics supernatural antihero Ghost Rider. The film is a sequel to the 2007 film Ghost Rider and will be released in theaters on February 17, 2012. It will be directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. Nicolas Cage will reprise his role as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider.
May 4, 2012 – The Avengers
– is the title planned for an American superhero film yet to be produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. It was announced in April 2005 and is to be based upon the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. The film is intended to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe which crosses over several Marvel superhero films including Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011) and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Chris Evans, Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo are under contract to star, with Joss Whedon attached to direct a script written by Zak Penn and Whedon himself. The Avengers has an announced release date of May 4, 2012 in 3-D.
July 3, 2012 – Spider-Man 4
– is an upcoming 2012 superhero film currently in production. It is the fourth Columbia Pictures film based on the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man and the first film in a rebooted Spider-Man film franchise. Originally, Spider-Man 4 was planned for release in 2011; however, in 2010 the film was cancelled due to Sam Raimi’s withdrawal from the project. Sony announced that the franchise will in turn be rebooted with new director Marc Webb and a new cast which includes Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, and Rhys Ifans as the Lizard. The reboot’s intention is to have Peter Parker back to developing his abilities in high school. It is scheduled to be released in 3-D on July 3, 2012.
July 20, 2012 – Batman: The Dark Knight Rises
– The Dark Knight Rises is the title planned for an American superhero film, yet to be produced as of January 2011, under the development of Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer, and Jonathan Nolan. Based on the DC Comics character Batman, the film will be the third and final installment in Nolan’s Batman film series. The film is scheduled for theatrical release on July 20, 2012 by Warner Bros.